Views: 0 Author: Site Editor Publish Time: 2022-04-11 Origin: Site
Many people complain about their inattention, emotional instability, poor pressure resistance and immunity, hair loss and acne. These problems are probably related to an important micronutrient, which is the protagonist we want to introduce today, zinc. What is zinc good for our health? How much zinc should I take? Is there any side effect of excessive zinc supplementation?
According to a report published in the journal Nature in 2015, one in seven people worldwide is zinc deficient.
Zinc is an essential nutrient in our body. In other words, our body cannot produce or store zinc, but must constantly absorb it from food or supplement it from nutrients. So many foods also add zinc to increase nutrition.
Zinc is the most abundant trace element in our body except iron. It exists in every cell and has the following 9 functions:
1. Affect gene expression: human genes cannot be changed, but their expression can be regulated, and the regulation of gene expression by the body determines our health status. Zinc is involved in the regulation of gene expression.
2. Affect the activity of more than 300 enzymes: zinc has a significant impact on metabolism, nerves, digestion, immunity, and many other important life processes.
3. Regulate and enhance immune function: zinc affects the development and function of immune cells and can directly inhibit the replication of virus in cells. Therefore, zinc is often added to anti cold drugs. Zinc deficient people often suffer from a variety of immune function problems and autoimmune diseases.
4. Maintain the health of hair, nails and skin: zinc affects the synthesis of protein, so the health of hair, skin and nails and the healing of wounds are inseparable from it. If people who love beauty want to reduce acne on their faces and grow beautiful hair, they should not be short of zinc anyway.
5. Affect growth and development, reproduction and sexual function: young people want to grow tall, strong, beautiful and plump, and middle-aged and elderly people want to maintain youth and vitality, they can't lack zinc. In addition, there is a lot of zinc in the pituitary gland, which promotes the pituitary gland to secrete growth hormone. Growth hormone is not only related to the growth and development of young people, but also important for middle-aged and elderly people to burn fat and maintain muscle.
6. Improve taste and smell: zinc is an important enzyme related to taste and smell function. When zinc is deficient, taste and smell are not good. Therefore, people who lack zinc often like to eat things with heavy taste. After infection with COVID-19, a large amount of zinc was consumed, and the abnormal taste and smell had a certain relationship with it. Zinc supplementation could accelerate the recovery.
7. anti inflammatory and anti-oxidation: zinc participates in the fight against the cytokine storm and free radical storm that cause serious symptoms of the new crown. It is an essential nutrient for the prevention and treatment of the new crown. In addition, chronic inflammation and oxidative stress can induce human aging and chronic diseases.
8. Regulation of nervous system: zinc is involved in the synthesis of brain neurotransmitters, the transmission of nerve signals and the functional regulation of neurotransmitter receptors. These neurotransmitters directly affect our regulation of emotion, stress tolerance, memory, attention, learning ability, motivation and execution. Many people diagnosed with various mental disorders have zinc deficiency.
9. Promote brain development: zinc promotes the growth and maturation of brain cells. Therefore, when zinc is insufficient, the growth of brain cells decreases and apoptosis becomes faster, which leads to some degenerative brain diseases, such as Parkinson's disease and Alzheimer's disease.